In order to get the most out of personal Bible study, try using a form like this one:
This form comes from Rick Warren’s Bible Study Methods, chapter 1, pp.33-47.
Reading the above is like a flashback from the old Masterlife days; very similar…
- Perimeter the Verse – what is before or after the verse.
- Paraphrase the Verse – into your own words.
- Pulverize the Verse – emphasize each word by exclamation.
- Personalize the Verse – what is the significance to you?
- Pray the Verse Back to God – lift his own Word to him.
- Parallel Verses – other passages on a similar theme.
- Problems in the Verse – what needs resolution in your mind and heart?
- Possibilities of Helping Others in the Verse – actions to consider.
- Protracted Study – other notes, ideas, outlines, etc.
[ Masterlife I, Guide to Meditation, pp.195-196, Waylon Moore]