The Bible is our only source for faith and practice. While we may have personal experiences that are meaningful in our lives, the subjective nature of personal experience opens the door to doctrinal error if we put that on the same level as God revelation of objective truth. This is not discounting the Holy Spirit active in our lives, but God has given us everything we need for life and godliness(2 Peter 1:3) and will not provide new revelation (new truth). If He does does, perhaps the Mormons, Muhammad or the Jehovah’s Witnesses are right.
The word of God is like a mirror in that it shows us who we really are. It is like a map because it shows us where we need to go. It is like a portrait for it paints for us a picture of who God is. — David Wallace
Never let good books take the place of the Bible. Drink from the Well, not from streams that flow into the Well. — Amy Carmichael
If the reader understands very little of the word of God, he ought to read it very much; for the Spirit explains the word by the word… The frequent reading of the Scriptures creates a delight in them, so that the more we read them, the more we desire to do so. — George Muller
Top 10 Reasons to Memorize Scripture:
- Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us. (Ephesians 3:20).
- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:22-23).
- Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. (Philippians 4:8).
- Your word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against You. (Psalm 119:11).
- Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. (James 1:2-3).
- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. (Philippians 4:6).
- If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. (1 John 1:6-7).
- …but those who hope in the LORD, will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. (Isaiah 40:31).
- Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6).
- “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5).