At King’s Grant Baptist Church, our goal is to develop people into fully devoted followers of Jesus. It involves a multi-step process whereby we move people from the outer ring of our target toward the center.
The best way to reach out to others is not in a mass mailing or the website; but rather person to person, reaching the people with whom we have something in common:
- Same workplace
- Same school
- Same neighborhood
- Same club or organization
- Same hobbies
The church may provide activities that cater to the needs of people but it is relationship development that will help them move to higher levels of commitment to Christ and His church.
Our steps look something like this:
- The Community: people who inhabit this city; who may have no idea we even exist, or perhaps that God exists.
- The Crowd: people who for some reason or another have visited our church, expressing interest and have come to one or more of our events.
- The Congregation: people who are actually attending our church fairly regularly; including nominal church members.
- The Committed: people who are members of our church and active in its programs.
- The Core: people who are actively involved in leadership and ministry of the church, and are passionate about the church motto, Knowing Christ and Making Him Known
Sharing the Vision:
To move people toward higher levels of commitment to Christ and his church.
- To – speaks to a vision and a strategy, a word of action and direction
- Move – speaks to progress and growth, never remaining static
- People – speaks to the reason we do what we do, it’s all about people
- Toward – speaks to a goal for which we are aiming
- Higher – speaks to a closeness to God, moving toward the mountaintop
- Levels – speaks to measurement toward our developmental goal
- Commitment – speaks to our resolve and passion
- Christ – speaks to our mission of knowing Christ and making him known
- His – speaks of the real head and leader of the church
- Church – speaks to this body of believers at King’s Grant
This series of posts will help to share the vision of what we can become and do for the kingdom’s sake. We must never settle for the status quo, but make a difference in the lives of those who are near us, in school, the office, and the community.
All living things grow, so if we are alive, we also must grow (individually and as a church). When we grow, we must have a strategy to develop people into fully devoted followers of Christ. My next post will address the need to fulfill the Great Commission through small groups.