This section is part of a class that I am teaching called Discipleship 101, the Lost Art of Disciple Making, where we are going to cover the basics of the Christian faith. I have in my class those who have never been discipled as well as those who have been with Christ for a long time, but are seeking tools and strategies for helping or mentoring others toward becoming disciple makers.
This is a brief section of reasons to believe and trust, and several verses to look up, which is done easily on this site.
Assurance of Salvation
We find direct statements in God’s Word: John 5:24, 1 John 5:13, Titus 1:2
But can We Believe the Bible?
The Bible claims to be the Word of God: expressions in the Bible, like “and God said…” or “Thus says the Lord…” and “God spoke to Moses…” – Genesis 1:3, Exodus 20:1, Joshua 14:5, Luke 24:27, 44, John 10:35, Acts 1:16, 17:2, 2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:21
The Bible is proved to be the Word of God.
- Unity: recorded over 1600 years, three languages, men and women from different countries and ages, with a unified message, it is one Book.
- Fulfilled Prophecy: hundreds of Old Testament prophecies about Jesus, the Jews, the Gentiles.
- Archaeology: always proves the Bible’s story, if it hasn’t, just wait.
- The Test of Time: through sword and flame, atheism and paganism, cold indifference and false prophets, it’s still here.
- Universal Demand: the world’s bestselling book.
- Denunciation of Sin: evil is never tolerated, but is dealt with openly, nothing in secret, characters are recorded as fallen, never perfect (Exodus 17:5-7, Numbers 20:7-13).
- Power to Change Lives: George Muller of Bristol, as an example.
The Witness of the Holy Spirit – Romans 8:16.
- What That Means:
- He is a Person, not a force.
- He is a Trinity, co-equal with the Son and Father.
- We are His temple, 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, 1 John 4:13
- How This Happens:
- He is the believer’s teacher – John 14:26, 15:26-27, 16:12-15
- He is the believer’s comforter – John 14:16, paraclete, John 14:26, 15:26, 16:7
- He is the believer’s guide – John 16:13, to lead the way (Matthew 15:14), Romans 8:1, 14
- He is the believer’s helper and intercessor – Romans 8:16
- A New Life – Transformation, 2 Corinthians 5:17
- A new attitude toward sin: Romans 7:19-20, they hate it, a new heart.
- New desires and new friends: new primary fellowship, community and growth.
- Fruit of the Spirit: Galatians 5:22-23, Matthew 7:20, Acts 4:13
- Assurance through Christian growth: Titus 3:5, Philippians 3:14, 1 Corinthians 3:11-15