Following up on the States of Supervision, my friend Glenn Prescott developed this study as an example of Jesus modeling the different states of supervision.
Jesus was intent on equipping men and women to make a significant impact throughout the world they were called to touch.
- Structure provided the foundation out of which all ministry would grow.
- Cooperation provided the understanding that ministry was conducted within the boundaries of the community of faith.
- Fellowship provided the understanding that ministry was nourished in the depth of a personal relationship with the Master.
- Partnership provided the understanding that ministry should be taken to the next level and that there would be no limitations on what could be accomplished.
Jesus provided the biblical basis of supervision as He poured His life into the lives of His disciples. As supervisors, we should pour our lives into those we are privileged to serve.
(Focal passage: Luke 9:1-6, 10, Other passages: Mark 6:6-13, 30-32, Matthew 10)
1. Structure – equipped, authorized, sent out – Luke 9:1-5 (also see Matthew 10)
- Calling – Jesus called – they accepted (Luke 9:1)
- Gifting – Jesus gave – they received (Luke 9:1)
- Commissioning – Jesus sent – they went (Luke 9:2)
- Instructing – Jesus told – they listened (Luke 9:3)
2. Cooperation – teamwork, united ministry, sent out by 2’s – Matthew 11:1, Mark 6:6-13
- Working on a team
- Working with direction
- Working with a partner
- Working under authority
3. Fellowship – report, spend time together, rest – Luke 9:6, 10, Mark 6:30
- Disciples worked – Jesus blessed (Luke 9:6)
- Disciples returned – Jesus received (Luke 9:10)
- Disciples reported – Jesus cared (Luke 9:10 and Mark 6:30)
- Disciples and Jesus withdrew – They rested and refueled (Luke 9:10 and Mark 6:31-32)
4. Partnership – evaluate, results, go on their own, duplicate – Luke 9:1, 10
- What did I do?
- How did I do?
- What did I learn from this experience?
- What do I do to take this to the next level?
- Where do I go from here?
- What do I do to encourage others to follow (not just you)?