It is TOUGH to keep small groups going in the summer. So what are we to do since the small group experience is vital to the life of Christians desiring to continue toward spiritual maturity? The momentum has grown only to be confronted with the beach, the mountains, baseball and weekend getaways.
No matter what your group is up to this summer you may need some ideas, things a group can do together and invite others to join you. So, I’m inspired by our young adult group and am offering these suggestions.
- Spend the day at a theme park like Busch Gardens.
- Canoeing trip.
- Hiking at Seashore State Park.
- Water skiing.
- Cookout in the neighborhood.
- Homemade Ice Cream competition (ask the small group pastor to come be the judge). Each household in the small group makes a gallon of ice cream. Invite the neighbors over to eat what has been prepared.
- Cornhole tournament (perfect competition for men and women together).
- Go to a drive-in movie together. Take lawn chairs, snacks, and coolers. Sit in front of your parked cars and enjoy a fun evening together.
- Get a PowerPoint projector and show a movie outside on someone’s white garage door. Invite the neighbors.
Then there are the rainy days… spontaneously call up group members and…
- Invite group members to your place to watch a movie. Pop popcorn, have drinks.
- Host a game day at the house (play cards or board games but don’t drag out the Bible Trivia game).
- Play Nintendo Wii games (this is a grand slam home run every time).
- Play laser tag together.
- Go to an auto show at the convention center.
- Ask someone to be the photographer for the group this summer. Invite those who are not part of the group but who joined you in some of these summer experiences to the first meeting in the Fall.
What ideas might you add to this list?