This is one of the critical evidences that one is an authentic follower of Jesus; do you just believe the right stuff about Jesus, like you have your ticket to heaven, or do you genuinely desire to conform to His image. Do you allow the Holy Spirit control over your life, including your decisions, your ambitions, your marriage, your family, your leisure time?
Do we have any inner resources at the moment when we are accosted by the Holy One…? Immediately our credentials of independence vanish, and we cease to carry ourselves with the swagger of the executive who knows what’s up and has all under control; we become aware of innate poverty, our next-breath dependence, and a numbness that invades the roots of our littleness and realness. — Brennan Manning
God plays a game with the soul called, “the loser wins;” a game in which the one who holds the poorest cards does best. The Pharisee’s consciousness that he had such an excellent hand really prevented him from taking a single trick. — Evelyn Underhill
Top 10 Ways to Relinquish Control:
- Make frequent use of Jesus’ prayer, “Not my will, but Yours.”.
- Meditate on Jesus’ attitude in Philippians 2:1-18, being a servant, humble and obedient.
- Read Roy Hession’s book, The Calvary Road for a new perspective on brokenness and surrender. (Get the Book)
- Make a habit of not making important decisions alone.
- Live by a schedule that allows for spontaneity and reflection.
- Experiment with fasting one day a week for a month.
- Make a list of potential addictions in your life.
- Ask your best friend if you have any controlling habits.
- Commit yourself to not motivate people through guilt.
- This month give away both some money and some time.