It’s hard to be humble and satisfied living in America. Madison Avenue would have us believe that life is not worth living without the product they are selling; the car, boat, makeup, jeans, beverage… How can we learn to be content?
Most of us are alcoholics when it comes to material things. — Rich Nathan
Contentment is a pearl of great price, and whoever procures it at the expense of ten thousand desires makes a wise and happy purchase. — John Balguy
If we have not quiet in our minds, outward comfort will do no more for us than a golden slipper on a gouty foot. — John Bunyan
God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him. — John Piper
Top 10 Ways to Practice Holy Happiness:
- Allow your inner peace to shape your circumstances, not vice versa.
- Explore the concept of delighting in the person and ways of God.
- Hold your desires loosely until confirmed by God’s spirit.
- Meditate upon the kingdom abundance and favor that belong to you.
- Search out the sacrament of the present moment.
- Learn to ask, “what is God up to in this circumstance?”.
- Differentiate between what is right and what is comfortable.
- Rest in the security that God work all things for good when you are called according to His purpose.
- When you are confused or disappointed, trust.
- Find your greatest satisfaction in fellowship with you Father.