The Courageous Resolution

The Resolution statements in the Courageous movie are based upon the highest priorities for men in God’s Word. Each statement describes a commitment you should resolve to live by as the leader of your home. Each of them is a call to action, and living by them will ultimately help you stand before God one day and hear him say, “WELL DONE!”

Here is the Resolution for Men:

I do solemnly resolve before God to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children.

1. I WILL love them, protect them, serve them, and teach them the Word of God as the spiritual leader of my home.
  2. I WILL be faithful to my wife, to love and honor her, and be willing to lay down my life for her as Jesus Christ did for me.
  3. I WILL bless my children and teach them to love God with all of their hearts, all of their minds, and all of their strength.
  4. I WILL train them to honor authority and live responsibly.
  5. I WILL confront evil, pursue justice, and love mercy.
  6. I WILL pray for others and treat them with kindness, respect, and compassion.
  7. I WILL work diligently to provide for the needs of my family.
  8. I WILL forgive those who have wronged me and reconcile with those I have wronged.
  9. I WILL learn from my mistakes, repent of my sins, and walk with integrity as a man answerable to God.
  10. I WILL seek to honor God, be faithful to His church, obey His Word, and do His will.
  11. I WILL courageously work with the strength God provides to fulfill this resolution for the rest of my life and for His glory.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. (Joshua 24:15)

Our plan is to move toward embracing this resolution in 2012. The Men of Steel have a desire to stand in the gap:

I searched for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand in the gap before Me for the land, so that I would not destroy it; but I found no one. (Ezekiel 22:30).

Print This Post Print This Post Email This Post Email This Post

About Scott Chafee

Scott serves on staff at King’s Grant Baptist Church in Virginia Beach and Kim is a Palliative Care Chaplain with the Sentara Home Health Care.
Tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The Courageous Resolution

1. James Louw says:

I think this is a wonderfull idea, may God bless you as you build the kingdom of God.
    James Louw
    jireh Ministries SA

2. Trevor says:

Web page under construction at present.

I would like to facilitate a Resolution Ceremony. How would I go about it. Do you have guidelines, documentation etc?

3. Scott Chafee says:

Hey Guys:

Thanks for your feedback and encouragement. We did our resolution ceremony for the men who finished all four lessons in the Courageous Living study. We purchased the documents from a local Christian bookstore, and the pastor and I signed the witness lines. During a morning service, the men stood before the congregation (not with their families) and I read each line and asked the men to say the appropriate response (I do, or I will). At the end each man took his document from the table up front and signed his resolution in front of a congregation of witnesses. We used archival pens, the ones used in scrap-booking, which was recommended by the Courageous people.

4. Renato says:

I am looking forward to taking the Resolution here in Perth. The film has had a massive impact on me. Sharing my reflections with you. http://alegacyofgrace.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/where-are-you-men-of-courage.html

Hope I can use some of your ideas on how to organise the pledge. God bless.

5. Courageous:) says:

The movie impacted me and my family. I have wanted to put the resolution on my wall but I could not figure out how, this is great and I have to thank you!

6. Adrian Ramos says:

I would like to start resolution with my men at my Church i love to vow before God and Man I man that will change my Country Belize

7. Scott Chafee says:

If you can find the book called “The Resolution for Men,” it will be a good start. It has the teaching featured in the Courageous film, principles straight from the Bible. Here in the USA, I was able to purchase the text of this resolution on what appears to be parchment paper, and had the men sign the resolution in front of the congregation.

8. Michael says:

I thank God for this web site.